Saturday, October 18, 2014

How the NASCAR 2015 Schedule Should've Looked

            Here's my first rant and it's a doosie. I know, I might get crucified for this but oh well. It's my opinion. Take it how you will.
            Recently I’ve been watching as much racing on TV that I can find. Touring Car to F1, NASCAR to Off Road. Until this year NASCAR was my favorite form of racing but the more racing I watch the more I realize NASCAR is lacking in their schedule. F1 while dominated by primarily 2 teams this year provides some of the best racing I’ve ever seen. The Indycar Series also provides for some great racing and I think their schedule is brilliant. They race at some of the best road courses and ovals around the nation. It’s an almost perfect balance. 
             I’m proposing NASCAR almost completely overhauls the schedule. They overhauled the Chase format and points system, why not combine it with a revamped schedule? Don’t worry, I haven’t touched too many of the traditional races every one of us loves to see. So here ya go, my fantasy NASCAR schedule. It’ll never happen, but if even one of my changes makes an appearance in the future I’d be ecstatic. It’d be a step in the right direction for NASCAR.


  • Feb 14 Sprint Unlimited Daytona International Speedway
  • Feb 19 Budweiser Duels Daytona International Speedway
  • Feb 22 Daytona 500 Daytona International Speedway
  • Mar 1 Atlanta Motor Speedway
  • Mar 8 Las Vegas Motor Speedway
  • *Mar 15 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca*
    • We don’t need 2 races at Phoenix. This will be my primary argument for a lot of my changes. Laguna Seca is one of the most historic and notorious racetracks in America. It’s one of the most fan friendly and accessible tracks I’ve ever been too. Would it need more grandstands to accommodate a NASCAR race? Sure, but it’s Laguna Seca….you wouldn't be staying in your seat the entire race anyway.
  • Mar 22 Auto Club Speedway
  • Mar 29 Martinsville Speedway
  • Apr 11 Texas Motor Speedway
  • *Apr 19 Mid Ohio Sports Car Course*
    • I know I know, don’t mess with Bristol. Relax. I didn’t get rid of it. I moved it. More on that later. Let’s go over this track now though. The Nationwide (Xfinity) Series have raced here for about 2 years now and it’s been good racing. The Indycar Series race here and it’s always fun. This track provides for some great racing and it’s a fantastic change of pace for the series. I know, another road course so soon? It won’t be the first time I do this but you’ll thank me, trust me, you will.
  • *Apr 25 Rockingham Speedway*
    • This track has held some of the greatest NASCAR races in history. It’s time to bring it back. I know, Richmond is a big deal in NASCAR but I say save it for the race before the Chase. The drama and racing of that night race is incredible and more than enough for the entire NASCAR season.
  • May 3 Talladega Superspeedway
  • May 9 Kansas Speedway
  • May 16 NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race Charlotte Motor Speedway
  • May 24 Charlotte Motor Speedway
  • May 31 Dover International Speedway
  • Jun 7 Pocono Raceway
  • Jun 14 Michigan International Speedway
  • Jun 28 Sonoma Raceway
  • Jul 5 Daytona International Speedway
  • Jul 11 Kentucky Speedway
  • Jul 19 New Hampshire Motor Speedway
  • Jul 26 Indianapolis Motor Speedway
  • *Aug 2 Road America
    • There’s absolutely no reason to go to Pocono twice in a season. Not this close together. I propose Pocono goes away and we replace it with Road America. This track has already proved it can hold NASCAR events. The Nationwide (Xfinity) Series already race there and I see no reason why “the best drivers in the nation” shouldn’t flex their muscle here as well. Yes, I know this now puts 2 road courses back to back. No, I’m not sorry for it. This would make for a truly entertaining and challenging test for these drivers.
  • Aug 9 Watkins Glen International
  • Aug 16 Michigan International Speedway
  • Aug 22 Bristol Motor Speedway
  • Sep 6 Darlington Raceway
  • Sep 12 Richmond International Raceway

The Chase

  • Sep 20 Chicagoland Speedway
  • *Sep 27 Circuit of the Americas*
    • Weren’t we just at New Hampshire? I agree, it’s a tough track but I don’t see it needing to be in the Chase. The Chase should reflect every form of track we go to throughout the season. Therefore the Chase needs a road course in it. How can we crown a champion who doesn’t prove their worth on all forms of racing surfaces? Therefore I give to you Circuit of the Americas. This track is not only beautiful but custom built for the best drivers in the world. If it’s good enough for F1 why not NASCAR? Show the world these drivers’ talent as well as adding a new challenge to the Chase.
  • Oct 4 Dover International Speedway
  • Oct 10 Charlotte Motor Speedway
  • *Oct 18 Bristol Motor Speedway*
    • Kansas doesn’t deserve a race in the Chase It’s a fun track but it’s just another mile and a half track and we just came from Charlotte. Let’s mix it up. These drivers need something to spice this up right before going to Talladega. NASCAR, I give you Bristol Motor Speedway! Why isn’t Bristol in the Chase already? I get it, Martinsville is a bit of a tougher racetrack but it’s also a bit more boring. Bristol is hands down the most exciting short track in NASCAR. It deserves to be here. So it shall be.
  • Oct 25 Talladega Superspeedway
  • *Nov 1 Michigan International Speedway*
    • As fun as Martinsville is (I tried to say that with a straight face) we just went to Bristol, this is the first race after an elimination. Let’s make it something better than follow the leader around Martinsville. Let’s go somewhere all the drivers love going to. Michigan is one of the fastest track on the circuit and almost every driver loves going there. It provides great racing and would be a great lead in to Texas. I know, Michigan wasn’t that long ago as it is, but…It’s Michigan. Who’s going to object? Not the people of Michigan that’s for sure.
  • Nov 8 Texas Motor Speedway
  • Nov 15 Phoenix International Raceway
  • Nov 22 Homestead-Miami Speedway

                                                  
So there it is. I’d enjoy seeing this schedule run. I think it’d be some of the most exciting racing there is out there. It’d give NASCAR that boost they’ve been looking for and maybe spike race attendance again. It saddens me to see empty stands at NASCAR tracks that used to sale out every year. Maybe this would bring the life back to NASCAR…maybe. It’d be fun to watch none the less. Oh and hey, if you like what you just read go ahead and share. I don't mind at all. Be to to follow us on Twitter as well @NASCARRantBlog



0 comments:

Post a Comment